17 February 2007

A Friary on the Lee

Holy Trinity Church and Friary (the building next to the church).

The site was selected by Father Theobald Mathew and the foundation stone of the church was laid in October 1832. The church opened in 1850 and the steeple was added in 1891.
The current friary was first occupied by the Capuchins in 1884.

For more information on the church see this site -- or for a briefer history and a beautiful historical photo, go here.

No comments: